The mushrooms had a few more spurts, including one unhappy day where it took me half an hour to clean out about three gallons’ worth, but now they have died down again. Thank God.
Then I declared war on the plantain (which was the clear winner this year in the race to populate the bare spots in the yard), and cleared it out of several large patches.
I’ve also been trying to work to the bottom of my stack of sewing projects. I made two wrap skirts, and a case for MFH’s bass guitar. The case still needs some cording and a very long zipper.
The garden has been doing well, although it is dominated by the milkweed that we left for butterfly habitat. The peas have been especially productive. MFH planted them along the edge of the garden, so that the plants can climb the fencing, and so the children can gather them easily. Our garden is a series of wide raised beds, and it is difficult to navigate when it is in full green.
I learned that sometimes gas lines are accidentally are laid right through sewer lines.
From the internet I’ve also learned that the path to better health and social dominance is to lift weights. Always looking for the DIY solution, I bought a bag of concrete mix ($4), mixed up one-third of the bag, and cast myself a pair of weights in plastic containers. I put a piece of 2×2 in the center of each weight to use as a handle. I can drill or burn these out later, if I want. I am planning to cast a couple of larger weights.
Recently our church took a bold step forward, and gave MFH the key to the church sign, which is the kind with movable letters. He’s been finding some good words to put up on it; Twitter has trained him well for the necessary brevity.